Friday, July 09, 2004

Fostering Better Cross-cultural Communications

Dissimilarity in culture and language form barriers between nationalities and ethnic groups. Americans and Koreans have diverse historic and ideological backgrounds.
To reduce misunderstandings, improve cooperation, and foster growth between both groups, it is crucial to recognize that there are distinct differences, and then develop a means of bridging the cultural gap. Experts in cross-cultural communication suggest education is a highly practical and effective solution.

For over thirty years, I have interacted with Koreans, studied their fascinating history, and sought to deepen my understanding of their rich heritage. I have found it to be an on-going process. In fact, as is often true with life experiences, the more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to learn. Nevertheless, this constant learning of another’s culture has allowed me to cultivate friendships and build long-lasting professional relationships.

With this in mind, I have a few suggestions to boost productive and improve work-relations in Korean-based firms with operations in America.

First, when employees and management better understand another’s nation’s belief systems, customs, practices, and social behavior improvements in the workplace will soon manifest.

My experience is a two-phase approach works best. This includes access to one-on-one coaching for management and employees, and structured on-going training sessions.

Have a question of developing and implementing a cross-cultural communication program? Just email me at Dsoutherton@bridgingculture.com

No comments:

Post a Comment