Sunday, April 09, 2006

Hines Ward Challenges Korean Mixed Race Discriminatory Norms

The issue of mixed race children has recently surfaced with Hines Ward being awarded the MVP at the 2006 Super Bowl.

For many years mixed blood offspring were ostracized--many Korean feeling the people should remain homogeneous.

I very aware of the old norms of discrimination against biracial children. In fact, one of my acquaintances is of mixed race like Hines Ward. In many cases these children were abandoned and then raised in orphanages--perhaps the worst in Korea.


This article highlights Korean changing norms...
April 8 (Yonhap) -- Korean-born American football star Hines Ward said Saturday that he hopes to set off a change in the way his native Korea treats mixed-blood children and that he will help them succeed.

Hopefully I can kind of lead the way for you guys, the U.S. Super Bowl MVP told a group of about 100 biracial children and their parents at a Seoul hotel.

I know you guys go through a lot of adversities, overcome a lot of hardship and prejudice and have people discriminate against you guys. But if the country can accept me for who I am, accept me for being a Korean, I'm pretty sure this country can change and accept you guys for who you are, he said.

Born in Seoul to an African-American serviceman and a Korean mother, Ward was treated to a hero's welcome on his first visit to Korea as an adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment