Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Korean business hints: Don't be mistaken

I truly enjoy sharing the nuances of Korean business hints and culture—whether through an email, books, or media interviews/articles.  This includes one on one mentoring, too.

Don Southerton
Long part of my core business has been On-boarding individuals as well as the entire leadership team.  In fact, this week I have a number of engagements scheduled.
On-boarding or, organizational socialization is where teams, from C-level to entry-level hires, acquire necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors to be effective in their job.
 
In most cases for my work, this means Westerners employed by Korean companies. It also includes those partners that provide services to Korean global firms, or a company wishing to do business in Korea.
 
A common false assumption taken by some is a company or project “will get” the cultural nuances without considerable support. Korean Business hints: Don't be mistaken.

I find the Struggles for non-Koreans can range from team members unsure if their actions may offend their Korea colleagues in the day to day affairs; to western leadership perplexed and frustrated why approval processes are so complex or why Finance appears to be the making final call in critical operational decisions. The latter two situations covered extensively in my books Korea Facing and Korea Perspective.  I can get you copies, so just ask.
 
All said, my role in On-boarding is to provide context and the reasons behind Korea facing business, while over time mentoring, coaching and steering teams and C-level leadership to solutions.
 
 I’m available to discuss more.   http://www.bridgingculture.com
 
DS

No comments:

Post a Comment